Minutes of the Monthly Meeting of Tonyrefail & District Community Council held on Thursday 11th March 2010 at Tonyrefail Community Hall, Pritchard Street, Tonyrefail, at 6.30 p.m.
Present: Cllrs. Mrs. K. Godfrey (Vice Chairman), Mrs. B. McDonald, Mrs. B. Jenkins, Messrs. S. Ambani, R.B. McDonald and M. Jenkins.
In Attendance: Mrs. P. Williams (Clerk)
In the absence of the Chairman Cllrs. Mrs. D. Roberts, Cllrs. Mrs. K. Godfrey took the chair.
1. APOLOGIES Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs. Mrs. D. Roberts, Mrs. L. Michel, Mrs. A. Wharton and Messrs. N. Whitehead.
2. DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST Cllr. R.B. McDonald declared an interest in Minute No. 7. - I am a County Borough Councillor.
3. CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES The minutes of the Monthly meeting held on the 11th February 2010, and the minutes of the Extraordinary meeting held on the same date were both confirmed as a correct record.
4. PUBLIC BREAK There was a member of the public present who came to observe the meeting and raised no questions with the Council.
Cllr. Mrs. B. Jenkins recommended to Members that members of the public should be informed that they are only able to discuss matters during the public break and that after that time they are unable to talk/discuss any further issues. It was RESOLVED: That this was a very valid point and that the Chairman would make any members of the public present at any meeting aware of this information. The Clerk would also put this on the agenda in the future.
5. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
5.1 SCHOOL STREET, TONYREFAIL It was RESOLVED: That the Community Council purchases a dog bin and a litter bin which would be placed in School Street. Both bins would bear the Community Council name in partnership with R.C.T.C.B.C. The responsibility of the bins would be then handed over to RCTCBC for emptying/maintenance.
It was reported that despite the Clerk contacting RCTCBC to clear the glass in School Street, that this had not been undertaken. The Clerk would contact RCTCBC again.
5.2 LIGHTING PARK LANE SURGERY TO TYN-Y-BRYN ROAD The Clerk had made contact with RCTCBC on this issue and was informed that they were looking to replace the lens in the lighting.
5.3 SENIOR CITIZENS CHRISTMAS DINNER It was RESOLVED: That the money raised from the Christmas Raffle of £150 would be donated to RCTCBC Mayor’s Charity Appeal. The Clerk would make the necessary arrangements.
5.4 TONYREFAIL COMMUNITY CENTRE Members were pleased to report that the Caretakers job had been saved as RCTCBC had been unable to find a committee to undertake the running of the centre.
5.5 R.C.T. LOCAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN 2006-2021 Members noted the contents of a letter from R.C.T Local Development Plan Examination dated 24th February 2010 in respect of a ‘Notice of Pre-Hearing Meeting on 25th March 2010. The Clerk was asked to forward a copy to Cllr. N. Whitehead.
5.6 MEMBERS DEVELOPMENT TRAINING Cllr. Mrs. B. McDonald advised that she had attended a ‘Problem Solving’ course at R.C.T and that she would also be attending the ‘Chairing Skills’ course on 24th March.
5.7 TELEPHONE SYSTEM The Clerk advised that she would be meeting with a representative of British Telecom on Wednesday 24th March.
6.1 T.I.A.S A request for financial assistance had been received from this organisation. It was RESOLVED: That under S137 of the Local Government Act 1972 that a sum of £200 be awarded to this organisation.
6. 2REQUEST FOR A BENCH AT TRANE CEMETERY Members noted the contents of County Borough Councillor Mrs. Aurfron Roberts letter dated 1st March 2010. It was RESOLVED: That a site meeting of the Community Council take place on Thursday 25th March at 10.30 a.m.
6.3 REVIEW OF COUNCILLORS ALLOWANCES REGULATIONS The Clerk provided members with a copy of the Welsh Assembly Governments letter dated 8th February in respect of the abovementioned. It was RESOLVED: That this be discussed in the April meeting.
6.4 CHILDREN WITH LEUKAEMIA A Request for financial assistance from this organisation was noted, as under S137 of the Local Government Act the Community Council would be unable to donate to a sum of money.
6.5 ONE VOICE WALES Members declined the offer of Membership to this organisation for 2010-11.
7. PLANNING Having declared an interest in Minute No. 2, Cllr. R.B. McDonald left the room whilst the planning applications were discussed.
There were no objections raised to the following applications: 10/0115/10, 10/0054/01, 10/0030/10, 10/0088/10 or 10/0170/10.
However in respect of planning application 10/0157/13 it was RESOLVED: To object to this application on the grounds of access and egress.
Cllr. R.B. McDonald returned to the room.
8. FOOTPATH REPORT Members noted the contents of the footpath report for March 2010.
9. ACCOUNTS It was RESOLVED: That the accounts for March be approved and accepted.
10. REPORTS/COMPLAINTS The Clerk advised Members that she had asked RCTCBC for a ‘No Through Road’ sign to be erected at the entrance of the lane behind Collenna Road and Winslade Avenue.
The Clerk had received from British Gas a quotation for the supply of Electricity, which in turn would reduce the cost we are currently paying based on the provision of both gas and electricity from British Gas if we undertook a 1 year contract. It was RESOLVED: To accept the quotation from British Gas.
The Clerk advised Members that she would be taking Annual Leave from Monday 15th March and would return to work on Tuesday 23rd March.
11.1 CHRISTMAS DINNER 2010 Quotes had been received from various caterers for the supply of the Christmas Dinner which would be taking place on Wednesday 8th December at Thomastown Social Club. It was RESOLVED: That the quote from Boyce Caterers be accepted.
Once again Thomastown Social Club had advised that they would be prepared to book the ‘Artist’ for the entertainment. It was RESOLVED: To accept their offer.
11.2 FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE A).THE GENTLEMEN’S SONGSTERS It was RESOLVED: That under S137 of the Local Government Act 1972 that a sum of £200 be awarded to this organisation.
B). THE GREEN MEADOW BOWMEN It was RESOLVED: That under S137 of the Local Government Act 1972 that a sum of £200 be also awarded to this organisation.
11.3 SCATTERING OF CREMATED REMAINS - TRANE CEMETERY A discussion took place on the possibility of creating a section of the cemetery in which the scattering of cremated remains could take place. It was RESOLVED: Not to proceed with the same.
11.4 REPLACEMENT OF WORKS VEHICLE The Clerk advised members that the cost of purchasing a new vehicle like for like would be approximately £17,000. The Clerk was asked to obtain prices for the leasing of a vehicle and to provide Members with a cost of the repairs to the vehicle for 2009/10.
11.5 CASUAL VACANCY In view of the casual vacancy that exists on the Community Council, the appropriate notice had been placed in the Collenna Ward, the Clerk has been informed by RCTCBC that an election had been called by the required 10 electors, and that this would take place as soon as possible and would be organised by RCTCBC.
12. DATE AND VENUE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting of the Community Council will be held on Thursday 8th April at 6.30 p.m. in the Community Centre, Pritchard Street, Tonyrefail.